Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Boys and their toys...

Over the past couple of months of preparation for this trip I've discovered a vast global community of world travelers that has a culture all their own.  For many, trips like this are not just a vacation but an embodiment of a philosophy and lifestyle (often referred to as Vagabonding).  Though I doubt I'm going to live my entire life out of a backpack, working where ever I land like some extremists, a lot of the ideologies that are at the very cornerstone of this global movement really resonate with me on a basic level... 

Alright, enough with the overly dramatic;  there are great life lessons in this 'culture,' but what I've really been obsessed with over the last few weeks are the gadgets.   I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about some of my favorites.

Backpacks - Your home on the go.
I could write a book alone on the trek and mountaineering bag industry.  It's the cornerstone of the lifestyle and there are more options then you would ever believe.  I wanted to talk for a second about the 'trek' or 'travel pack' style(what I'm using).  This is a class of bags that is designed for people that plan on doing more urban travel then woodland areas.  There are two distinctive features that come standard on these bags;
  1. detachable day pack
  2. hidden straps
It is a great all purpose bag and something that I would recommend for anyone thinking of traveling to a foreign country for any reason. 

Clothing - makes the man
All in all my pack weighs less then 15 pounds for a 5 week trek, how is this possible? One word; synthetics.   They have some amazing synthetic fabrics that are absolutely mind-blowing.  Not only are they light weight, they are often;
  • anti-microbial (ie. order resistant) 
  • stain resistant
  • moisture-wicking (meaning they keep your skin dry)
  • ventilated
  • quick drying
  • and sooo much more
The best example of this are my ExOfficio Boxer Briefs, hands down the most comfortable and functional pair of underwear you'll ever own.  I wore them for 7 days in a row with out washing them; I worked out, worked in the yard, worked, even slept in these boxers and there was absolutely no odor on the fabric.  I put them in the washer last night out of sheer habit (not need) and pulled them out to air dry (not required) and their were completely dry in 20 minutes... everyone needs to get a pair of these.  I promise you, it will be the best 25 dollars you'll ever spend.


2 comments:

  1. umm...you might want to keep the seven days in one pair of undies to yourself Jackson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They might not have smelled to YOU! They say you don't smell things after you nose gets use to it... so unless you get a smell test from an outsider (NOT volunteering) I would consider taht reveiw faulty! LOL!
    HAD to tease you!

    ReplyDelete