Saturday, May 2, 2009

Two roads diverged in a wood...

After many weeks of talking about this trip and excuse after excuse, I'm finally leaving in 4 days to Backpack across India.  A lot of people have been asking a lot of questions about this trip and have a lot of concerns.  Hopefully this will answer some of them but I'm not sure what I'm going to say is going to alleviate any one's concerns ;-)

Why India?
Through out my life I have had the great fortune of living all over the US.  I have gotten to experience a lot of cultures and see a lot of things domestically and I really think I am a better person because of that (thanks Mom and Dad).  But I've always longed for something more then just domestic travel.  I hear friend talk about fantastic spring break trips to the Caribbean, family vacations to Europe,  humbling mission trips to third world countries and life altering study abroad and I find myself left wanting...

It's customary in other cultures to have a period of exploration and self discovery between school and work, the most common example being backpacking across Europe.  Personally, I have no interest in Europe, at least the places I have interest in are not the places I could afford. I've also never been much of a conformist, i like doing radical and unusual things and it has lead to some of my greatest experiences;
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"
-- Mark Twain
Lastly, I'm an economics major and I've become obsessed with studying "outsourcing" and the raise of India and China in the new world economy. India and China are growing economic powers and if these are the new centers of gravity in this global economy, then I should go check it out.

What in God's name are you going to be doing in India?
What ever I want to...  This is a concept that has a number of you very concerned and I understand, but in order to get the most out of this trip, to satisfy this desire I have, I really can't do it any other way. 
I've got room and board for the first week and friends in Mumbai to help get me acclimated.  I have taken every precaution as far as medical and emergency contacts and I have more then enough money to survive.  I'll be fine.  I promise. Have faith.

What about "swine flu," civil unrest, terrorism, kidnapping (insert ludicrous disaster here)?
This is one that I get a lot and one that always cracks me up.  Ignoring the fact that swine flu is actually less dangerous then most common strains of flu, the notion that India is a hot bed for terrorism and civil unrest just goes to the overall ignorance of world and cultural geography here in America (a little preachy, but true). India is very politically, economically and socially stable and safe.  It is nothing like the middle eastern states far west (don't take my word for it, check out the US State department).  It is in no way associated with Islamic radical groups nor do I have any aspirations of traveling anywhere near India's western boarder. 
Additionally, I would argue that the response due to the bombing in India many months ago has done nothing but make an already safe country safer for tourists.  Economically prosperous countries are stable countries and India is doing well.
Lastly, India/Pakistan relations are stable and show no signs of change in the coming months. 
In any event, I have travel insurance and a solid ICE fund to make a hasty exit should it become necessary.

One of the Biller Boys is going abroad... We might have an International Incident on our hands!
Another common one, and I appreciate the confidence.  I'll try to remain legendary but not notorious. Also, as a result of a stomach condition (the reason I'm not there now), I'll have to keep the drunken shenanigans to a minimum.

Hopefully this answered a number of your questions and concerns.  Feel free to post others and I'll try to answer them as best I can.   Internet access is not guaranteed, but pretty common in most areas.  I should be able to post regularly.  You can also find me on Skype at red.biller

I think that's enough for now, I'll try to post again before I leave on May 6th @ 4pm CST. 

And for all those who don't already have the link here's my sisters account of here Peruvian high jinks;
http://mnmary.nomadlife.org/

1 comment:

  1. Whoever is asking you these questions doesn't know you very well! Hahaha- it is of absolutely no shock to me that you are going to backpack across India. I can't wait to see the pictures and continue to read about your adventures. I'm just bummed that I will miss seeing you by just a few days. I arrive in the 'bus on May 9th!

    ReplyDelete